Saturday 9 April 2011

Single review: Namie Amuro Break it/Get myself back

Break it/Get myself back was Namie Amuro's 35th single and was released on July 28th last year. Being one of the most anticipated releases of last summer I/many Jpop fans were interested to hear what it would sound like, especially after the change of sound in Past<Future. The single may live up to expectations, especially if your a fan of Play and read below why^_^
The first track on the single is Break it. The song starts off with Namie singing "Break it, break it, break it all" over a fast rock beat, at times the beat almost sounds a little Middle Eastern. The verses continue with this rock sound before slowly becoming more danceable and once the chorus kicks in the beat becomes an electro/rock fused sound as Namie starts singing "Break it, all break it". The chorus is catchy, simple and effective and will make you want to hum along/dance. Her voice throughout the song also sounds good. The lyrics talk about how she wants to break down the walls which stand in her way and do what makes her happy. The PV does the song justice but isn't anything special, to me its just there, I neither hate nor like it.

"Clouds close down maze
The stalemate finally breakthrough zero"


We now head into the second track of the single, the summer ballad Get myself back. Get myself back in my opinion is the standout track of the single and you will surely enjoy it if you love summer ballads. The song starts off with a piano being played before a soft, thumping beat is heard. Namie starts singing soflty before the pre-chorus kicks in and she starts singing a little faster. Once the chorus kicks in a soft electro/jazz sound is heard in the background and Namie starts to sing a little louder. The hook to the song is "oh-oh, oh-oh, oh-oh". It is soft yet effective. Namie may not have loudest or strongest voice in the buisness but she can sing and this song sounds as if it was made for her. The PV is worth watching. Screenshots of the beach, grassy fields and the sunset going down continue to make this song even more of a summer single (and I believe it was shot on her home island of Okinawa). Once the breakdown kicks in the song starts to slow down before slowly getting faster until the final chorus kicks in. The song ends the same way it started, with a piano being played.

"I was always so stubborn
I even lied to myself
No destination is printed
On my unrolled, white map"




If you were a fan of Play then you will probably love this single for the simple fact both songs are produced by Nao'ymt (and these two songs are much better than the ones he produced on Past<Future in my opinion). Both songs are good (or great in Get myself back's case) and are worth the buy. They don't push the envelope on sound and won't revolutionise the music scene but they do the job and are effective^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment