Thursday 7 April 2011

Introductory Review: 浜崎 あゆみ Next Level

Hi everyone, welcome to my first review on Next Level: Jpop music reviews.com. The first Jpop singer I heard (and my favourite Jpop singer) is 浜崎 あゆみ or better known as Ayu by her fans. Her Next Level album was the first Jpop album I ever bought so I thought it would be best to make this as my first review. I hope you enjoy reading and please leave your comments after reading^_^
We start the album off with the introduction Bridge to the Sky, it starts off with a calming, airy sound but quickly turns into a euro-dance number. Even when the song goes more dancy it still feels very summery and light, it reminds me of a softer, younger version of Not Yet (the introduction on Secret).

We then head to the title track of the album (Next Level). The song like Bridge to the Sky starts off very summery and airy. Once the chorus hits in it becomes a little more fast paced however the beat isn't as thick as Bridge to the Sky's was and is alot less of a shock. It's the type of song that you could imagine listening to on a trip to the beach, down a long road (just like how the PV was set). The songs lyrics are uplifting and talk about how we all are on the same path in life and we aren't as different as people make out. As the first full track on this album i'm sure you will be left satisified, especially if you enjoy the summery sound it gives off.

                                                             "We keep on walking, On this endless, straight road"

Disco Munication is the first interlude on the album and the song immediately makes your legs start to move and once the chorus kicks in you feel like jumping up for a bit of a dance! An electro, distorted voice is played throughout the song and whilst there are no lyrics you could easily imagine this interlude as a full song. However, I prefer Bridge to the Sky but if the songs we've heard so far are any indication then we shouldn't be needing to sit down for a breather just yet, we have alot more dancing ahead!

"Put your hands together, keep your hands up together, let me sing forever, dala, dala, dala, dala"! EnergizE starts off sounding a bit like a video game but quickly turns into a sing along pop/electro number. I have seen this song has got a bit of flack in other reviews but I personally believe this is one of the best songs on the album, you can sing along and it feels like she had a great time singing it! On the Next Level tour during one of the interludes there was a video where she was playing through a level of Super Mario, jumping up and down and having a great time, thats the type of scenario I could imagine as a video for this song. It's sad this song and Love "n" Hate didn't get a PV but overall its a fun song to sing and dance along to.
                                                     

                                                                     
"If you say you are happy, And give me a smile tomorrow, I feel like somehow, That everything goes well"


 "No, No', No"". The first song I ever heard by Ayu and the first PV I watched of hers was Sparkle, which is why this song has a special place in my heart. The song starts off with a laser shooting type of sound but then turns into a more disco sound before once again changing into a thumping electro beat. As she sings about losing yourself for the night to the beat you can't help but feel this song is darker than the songs earlier on the album, whilst Next Level and EnergizE we're happy, summery types of songs Sparkle feels more like an wintery electro, robotic number. The PV was probably my favourite PV of the Next Level era (closely followed by Next Level and Rule) and everything about this song feels epic, the breakdown is music to the ears and the chorus lives up to the verses expectations. If it wasn't for Rule being in Dragonball Evolution I feel that Sparkle would have been a much better lead in song. Sparkle to this day is still one of my favourite songs by Ayu.

   
"Hey, cute boys and girls
Idling your times away there"


Our next track Rollin starts off with a quiet, mysterious sounding introduction (reminds me of a Circus) but at the 0.27 mark it slowly becomes more electro (the full intro goes for 1:03). When I first heard this song I was told I would like it because I enjoyed Sparkle and that this song has a similar electro sound,that information (atleast in my opinion) is wrong.  Whilst Sparkle had the dark, alluring electro sound Rollin has more of a happier, robotic sound. The song is the most electroish track on the album and at the same time is my least favourite electro sounding track, infact, Rollin and Identity are probably the low points of the album. The song goes from hearing her vocals clearly to sounding robotic in an instant and whilst I didn't find it annoying the track does sound like it wants to be alot of things, (I will admit, the chorus is catchy though). Despite sounding alot more happy then Sparkle the lyrics paint a different picture as she sings about the world continuely changing and how she/the world won't ever be able to go back to the places/times we hold dearest. Overall, this track is a bit of a mess but at the same time its still listenable and far from being an awful track you can't listen to.

      

"That we expected was
Just the beginning of failure"
Don't say such a thing with a cold look
Staring into my eyes
"


    We now head into one of the first songs heard from the album, Green! Gone has the electro sound as we welcome, an organic, Eastern style sound. The verses are laidback, calm yet exciting and as stated above sound very organic. Once the chorus kicks in you hear an uplifting, refreshing type of sound as she sings about being shy around her love and covering the real her up. The Eastern Asia sounds on this song are strong (and not just a coincidence as the PV showed), it sounds like it could have come straight out of the 60's-70's. Whilst being called a ballad I would call this more of a mid-tempo song and definitely one of the high points of the album. The song sounds like magic has been thrown over it (if that makes sense) and shows the great vocals Ayu has. It reminds me of some of her earlier songs, that is if they had been released in the current time and will be sure to be in your list of favourite songs from the album^_^ The organic sound of the song also suits the title in my opinion, you feel refreshed after listening to it^_^

"When the trees come into bud again
And the leaves are freshly green
I want to show my smile
More natural than now"


Time for the second interlude on the album. "Load of the Shugyo" is alot more rock sounding then the previous interlude and signifies we are now heading into the rock part of the album. During the hook of the song horns can be heard in the background and guitars start playing, reminiscent of Mirrocle World though not as strong.

The first full rock song on the album is Identity, it starts of quiet and mysterious (similar to alot of the songs on the album) before quickly turning very rock with quitars playing. Ayu sings "Yeah, yeah, yeah" and whilst this is catchy I find this the weakest rock song on the album. The chorus is fast paced and makes me want to be excited but the song just feels weak compared being near Green and Rule on the albums list. As I said with Rollin, the song may be weak but isn't unlistenable. The songs breakdown out of nowhere turns more electro (maybe in reference to the albums overall sound) before turning back to a rock sound. Overall, the song is better than Rollin and I have to admit the lyrics are some of the best lyrics on the album so the song does have things going for it.

"Hey, you there
Who take the trouble to share time and space with someone else"


We now come to the Dragonball Evolution theme song and probably the loudest rock song on the album, Rule. The song has a thumping beat and is a vast improvement over Identity, I have always found that Ayu sounds most comfortable on rock sounding tracks and this song proves it, it sounds like she is fired up and having a great time recording the track. The song talks about how she is sick of following the rules and how she and the one she trusts can make their own rules. The song is a highlight of the album and you won't be disappointed by the PV. Rule/Sparkle are one of my favourite Ayu singles so far.

"I don't need the Rules
Decided by someone else
Because we are the Rules
I can't give way in that matter"


We now head into the final rock track of the album, Love "n" Hate. We hear orchestra strings quickly followed by guitars being played during the opening few seconds. As she counts to 7 you can't help but feel out of the three rock songs on the album, atleast in sound this is the most emotional of those three. The song is about how she only wanted to dream about being with the guy she liked but forced herself to stay away from him and whilst in the process of this movement she discovered it hurt more than she thought it would. Definitely one of the highlights of the album and the strings make the song even more catchy, shame it didn't get a PV.

"I only wated to dream
That my dream would come true
Just for a moment"


We now head into the final interlude of the album, Pieces of Seven a sign that the album is nearing an end. Like the opening few seconds of Bridge to the Sky the song sounds very airy and light and at 0.51 we hear a somewhat dancey/upbeat Eastern sound. However, at 1:36 the song turns more into a rock interlude whilst a mysterious dancey beat is heard in the background. Overall the introduction/interludes on this album have been some of the best she has ever done so far^_^

The song coupled with Green is now heard. Days is a ballad with elements of Christmas theme music. The verses are quiet with Winter type sounds heard, her voice sounds great and once the chorus kicks in you feel a strong Christmas presence as bells are heard in the background. The song talks about her love for a guy who she believes has someone else in his life, but as long as she can talk and see him she gets through the pain. A Christmas love ballad this is and if you enjoy her Winter singles then I am sure you will enjoy this song.


"Each word you casually exchange with me
Is such a precious treasure to me
But I myself feel a bit embarrassed about this
So if you knew, you would surely laugh at me"


We now head into the final song of the album, the ballad Curtain Call. The song starts with the piano being played before Ayu starts singing, alot more softly and quieter than in Days. The chorus whilst still quiet is sung a little bit faster. At 1:11 the song becomes faster again before becoming quiet again. Once the second chorus kicks in a gospel choir is heard in the background and makes the song seem even grander before at just before the song ends it becomes quieter, just like it started. The song is a love song sent from her heart to the one she loves. Overall I prefer this ballad to Days and to me she sounds more relaxed yet sounds like she is singing from somewhere more personal.

"A love song sent to you, my dear
From my heart"


 Overall I find Next Level another great album by Ayu, whilst some say its her worst I find it one of her strongest and one of my favourites by her. If your new to Ayu you will enjoy this album and even if you we're already a fan of her i'm sure you will find parts, if not the whole album to enjoy and one of the good things about her is every album she changes her sound so you never know what each album will sound like? I'm sorry this review went a bit long but a I hope you enjoyed it and please leave a comment^_^

2 comments:

  1. this album is great, and good review, sparkle is also my fav song of this album, next is brigde to the sky

    cool blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great review on this album..i got the album already and really its good..i always have album with me at my faux leather hobo bag..

    ReplyDelete