Friday 8 April 2011

Single review: BoA Woo Weekend

Woo Weekend is BoA's 30th single and was released on July 21st last year. Now I wouldn't call myself a BoA stan, rather a casual listener so when I heard BoA had a new single I was interested to see what it sounded like. I was surprised from what I heard below you will understand why^_^
The title track of the single starts off with BoA singing "Just can't get enough, Woo Wee", as she sings this electro/jazz sounds are heard in the background. The verses instrumental sound like people thumping their feet but once the pre-chorus and chorus kicks in we are thrown an explosion of dance, jazz and electro which give us an happy and danceable tune. The hook "Just can't get enough, Woo Wee" is insanely catchy and I even found myself humming/singing it months after I first heard the tune. Her vocals mould well into the song and she atleast sounds like she can be bothered to sing the song (which I can't say for the next song). The PV was ok,  BoA look tired and bored and it felt very forced which seems to be the general concensus of her career currently, especially in Japan. I found myself surprised with this song because whilst I wasn't overly thrilled when I first heard it I ended up enjoying and buying it.

"Take me to the top (Woo Wee)"

Next up is the b-side to the single, No dance, No life. Now we all know how much of a fan BoA is of Michael Jackson so the obivous Michael Jackson sound of this song isn't a surprise. The song starts off with a dark 80's type tune before BoA sings "I want to dance tonight". This 80s sound is heard throughout the whole pre-chorus before it becomes faster during the chorus. B-sides aren't meant to be amazing but the song was boring, she sounded like she was recording it for the sake of recording a b-side and I don't enjoy her vocals as much on this song. The breakdown is ok but her vocals don't mould well with the beat. Overall I didn't enjoy this b-side, feeling as if it dragged on. However, Woo Weekend is enough to make up for this miss.

"Baby bounce with me tonight"

Overall I find this single to be 50/50. Woo Weekend is enough of a reason to buy the single but No dance, No life is just not an enjoyable track in my opinion. This wasn't the strongest Jpop single released last summer but it for sure wasn't the worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment