Wednesday 13 April 2011

Pick of the day: Hikaru Utada Show me love (Not a dream)

Pick of the day is when I pick a song (usually a non-single) of any singer and review just that track. Todays pick is Hikaru Utada's Show me love (Not a dream), a song that was featured on her recent Single Collection volume 2 which was released on November 24th last year. In the past the only Japanese single of hers I had heard was Boku wa kuma and this song is alot different to that. Read below my opinion on this pick of the day song!



The song starts off softly with the sound of a piano being played, her voice then comes in slowly and softly. She sounds right on point and clear. The instrumental sounds somewhat electro but once the chorus kicks in that completely goes as the sounds of guitars and drums being to play. Her voices hits higher points and the chorus gives off a dark vibe, it sounds like something emotionally bad has just happened to her. The hook "It's all in my head (show me love)" is dark yet catchy. The second verse continues the rock sound and as the song goes on she continues to sound more "involved" in the song, I wasn't expecting the song to turn into a rock song when the song first started and i'm sure it will catch you off guard as well. The song was written apparently when she was deciding to go on hiatus and the lyrics reflect a dark and lonely vibe. A PV was not made for the song.

"I suppressed it, but it didn't fade."

Overall I found this song to be a surprise. Not only did the rock tinge come out of nowhere but I didn't expect myself to like it as much as I do and the hook is catchy despite what the song overally sounds like. A dark rock sound, completely different to the happy and brightful Boku wa kuma (though that was a childrens song). Show me love (Not a dream) is a must listen for any Jpop fan, especially those who are fans of dark rock tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment